Friday, August 11, 2006

Patching up my windows and something about Linux


Well, I'm the one who disabled Windows Automatic Update, Windows Firewall, Windows Security Center, Windows balloon tips and almost everything that Windows XP automatically do it without asking me. It is not because of my Windows XP OS is pirated version, but it is really annoying to me. I do Windows Update manually. Department of Homeland Security released the announcement saying everyone should patch up to Protect against a vulnerability found in windows operating systems. So patch it up guys. If you are seriously tired of patching up windows, try Linux. I would recommend to everyone.

If you decided to use Linux, the first benefit no more spending money for OS and expensive software like Office. No more virus and spyware! You will eventually learn more about how things work on your computer. You will know what you are doing (which is important because some people don't know what they are doing). Because of I'm telling this, don't think that I'm a Linux fan boy. I use Windows at work and home too. My laptop has windows 2000 and my desktop has windows XP and my other desktop has Slackware.

Both Windows and Linux have their advantages and disadvantages, so I use both. I want to keep my options open, so I tried Linux last 3 years ago. Isn't it good if you know how to use both Windows and Linux? When I started using Linux, I started with Mandrake (now it is called Mendavia). At that time Mandrake is a pretty decent Distro for newbie. At that time, I was playing with Linux just for fun. While using Mandrake, I noticed that it does some thing automatically and I'm the one who doesn't like things get done automatically without telling me. So I started browsing at Distrowatch and Linuxquestions.org. Then I found RedHat and used it for a while. I got dependency hell with RedHat. Finally I found Slackware Linux and which is my main Linux OS until now.

For those who want to try the flavor of Linux, there are many LiveCDs available out there. You don't have to install anything to use LiveCD. I would recommend Knoppix to try. If you like the flavor of Linux, you may consider installing it on your computer as dual boot. Ubunutu is very popular today for beginner to Linux (I've never used it though). If you really like Linux and want to know inside out about Linux, give Slackware a try.

Well, I don't know why I started with patching Windows operating system and talking about Linux. I'm gonna change the title of this post and wrap it up here. Remember if you have any questions about Linux, there is always Linuxquestions.org and people out there are very friendly and willing to help each other. Have fun guys!

Tag: ,

No comments: